By Ralph H Maestre BCE
Magic Pest Management LLC has provided services for cockroaches since its inception in the 1960s. Besides mechanically carrying infections such as Salmonella, their feces contaminate furniture, fabrics, and other household items. Cockroaches also contaminate stored food product we eat. They are just gross! Their reproductive cycle is very quick. German Cockroaches can reach adulthood in just a little over a month, which mean that in as little as three to four months you can have over 800 cockroaches. Quick action is needed to prevent any escalation in their population. Magic knows where to look for their hiding places and quickly eliminate them.
- German Cockroaches start life within an egg, which are contained within an egg capsule known as an Ootheca.
- This egg capsule is about 1/3 of an inch long and will contain as many as 48 eggs in a German Cockroach.
- The German Cockroach will hold onto the egg capsule until the day before it hatches.
- The German Cockroach egg will take on average about 20 to 30 days from the time it is formed to the time it hatches. Once hatched the young are known as Nymphs.
- The nymphs will go through several growth stages known as instars. In German Cockroaches it is usually 6 or 7 stages. Nymph may take as little as 40 days to reach adulthood in German Cockroaches. Each time the Nymphs emerges from one instar into the next they come out white in color giving the impression that they are albino, but they are not. They will darken in color as the outer bony structure, the exoskeleton hardens.
- Adult German Cockroaches are approximately 1/2 to 5/8 inch long.
- An adult German Cockroach may live about 1 year.
German Cockroaches are cosmopolitan in North America. The German Cockroach is commonly found in kitchens and bathrooms. German Cockroaches will be found periodically in office environments. Since human structures are artificial environments, German Cockroaches breed year around.
German Cockroaches are omnivorous and eat just about anything. In other places around the word, they are now using cockroaches to feed on organic garbage to produce fertilizer.
Like most cockroaches, the German cockroach is nocturnal. Some people can develop severe allergies to cockroach parts, feces, and oils.
Magic Exterminating services residential, commercial, industrial, food processing, and food establishment locations throughout the Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Queens, and Western Nassau County areas. Cockroaches have been making a comeback in the last several years due to the fact it has learned how to avoid the baits (bait aversion). Magic has the experienced personnel to solve a cockroach infestation in your home, work place, etc. Contact Magic Exterminating for a free onsite estimate.