Magic's Role during this Pandemic
By Ralph H Maestre BCE
I first met Dr. Jerome Goddard while he worked for the Mississippi's Department of Health. He presented a seminar on spiders. He is very knowledgeable and funny. An example of his humor was showing a close-up picture of what appeared to be a spider bite open sore. He asked, "is this a spider bite". It looked nasty, most of us thought it was, but when he zoomed out, it was just a pizza pie. He dealt for many years with mosquitos as a vector of disease. His expertise has guided many a pest management professional in how to protect themselves and their clients from mosquito borne disease and where to most effectively an application may be done.
Recently, Dr. Goddard shared his thoughts about the coronoavirus pandemic, which you can read in detail here.
His insight in this brief article is poignant. But what does this mean to Magic and Magic's clientele?
Currently, Magic is open for business to all customers in New York City, Queens, Brooklyn, the Bronx, and Long Island (Nassau County). Why, because we are one of three groups that have historically helped society in preventing the spread of disease. Medical, sanitation, and pest control since the 1940s have shown, when used together, help control the spread of disease world-wide. It may seem unimportant at this time, but our food supply still needs to be protected from rats, mice, insects, and other arthropods that may damage or spread other illnesses. Around our homes, mosquitoes, ticks, fleas, rodents, and other insects are still trying to penetrate our structures regardless of the current Pandemic. This time of year, termites along with other wood destroying insects are working at damaging our structures. Left unchecked, within months pockets of infestations will emerge. We understand the complexity of this situation, Magic is empathetic and sympathetic to the unique situation each client is going through. Illness, loss of loved ones, closure of places of work, loss of employment, etc. We hope that each of our clients protect themselves and those around them. Follow the guideline set by the professional and government agencies such as the CDC. We are all going to get through this together.
Here is what Magic is doing:
- We will continue to service our residential clients in the New York City area and Nassau County by protecting their homes.
- Commercial locations will also be serviced.
- Magic's Pest Management Professions (PMP) have received strict guidelines to wear personal protective equipment such as a respirator, booties, and gloves. If required, we are equipped with Tyvek suits.
- If required, our PMPs are ready to service inside. Please listen to their instructions for social distancing while indoors.
- If you have any questions, please call at (718) 961-9000, and we will try to answer your questions.
- We are asking all of our clients in the NYC area and Nassau county to follow the links to the Center for Disease Control (CDC) and the World Health Organization (WHO) for guidelines and further information and updates on the Novel Corona Virus and the disease Covid-19.